We've done so much since we were founded in 1991!
Each year, OMLA sponsors numerous activities and programs, here is a small sample of what we have been doing:
- Networking and Social events in Portland, Salem, Eugene and Bend
- Fundraising for our Bar Exam Preparation Scholarship
- Scholarship Administration for the Angel Lopez Scholarship, Business Law Section Scholarship and Litigation Section Scholarships
- Quarterly Luncheons on issues of interest to our Membership past speakers have included the Governor of Oregon, Supreme Court Justices, and many prominent minority attorneys.
- Participate in statewide committees and task forces including the Oregon Supreme Court Task force on Racial and Ethnic issues in the Judicial System and the OSB Diversity section.
- Amicus Curiae briefs filed on issues such as Interpreters in the Courtroom and same sex marriages.
- Sponsor of Legal Education Programs including the Oregon State Bar Affirmative Action Program event "Opportunities for Law in Oregon," Oregon Hate Crimes Conference (2000), Convocation on Equality (2001), Attorney Recruitment and Retention (2001), ABA National Conference of the Minority Lawyer (2003-2005).
- A monthly electronic newsletter with a distribution of over 700 attorneys. Our e-newsletter contains information about upcoming OMLA sponsored events, events of interest to the community, as well as job opportunities and announcements.