We've done so much since we were founded in 1991!
Each year, OMLA sponsors numerous activities and programs, here is a small sample of what we have been doing:
- Networking and Social events in Portland, Salem, Eugene and Bend
- Fundraising for our Bar Exam Preparation Scholarship
- Scholarship Administration for the Angel Lopez Scholarship, Business Law Section Scholarship and Litigation Section Scholarships
- Quarterly Luncheons on issues of interest to our Membership past speakers have included the Governor of Oregon, Supreme Court Justices, and many prominent minority attorneys.
- Participate in statewide committees and task forces including the Oregon Supreme Court Task force on Racial and Ethnic issues in the Judicial System and the OSB Diversity section.
- Amicus Curiae briefs filed on issues such as Interpreters in the Courtroom and same sex marriages.
- Sponsor of Legal Education Programs including the Oregon State Bar Diversity & Inclusion Department event "Opportunities for Law in Oregon," Oregon Hate Crimes Conference (2000), Convocation on Equality (2001), Attorney Recruitment and Retention (2001), ABA National Conference of the Minority Lawyer (2003-2005).
- A monthly electronic newsletter with a distribution of over 700 attorneys. Our e-newsletter contains information about upcoming OMLA sponsored events, events of interest to the community, as well as job opportunities and announcements.